Wednesday 1 January 2014

Hello

Image: Keep your coins, I want change - Meek
Hello.

My name's Joel.

I suffer quite badly with depression. This eventually led to two overdoses in April and May of 2013. So after different treatments and being on a hospital mental health ward, I've had chance to read about different therapies. One in particular Ive read about is Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

After doing CBT exercises for a few months, one thing has arisen is feelings and thoughts of being valueless, that I can't achieve anything. So really these challenges that I've set myself for this year, 2014, are a way for me to prove to myself that I can achieve things. Also, I hope that it can serve as an example to others that whatever state of depression they're in, you can work yourself out of it, you can achieve things.



So, as I've said I've set myself a challenge a month. Here is a quick look at the first three challenges, a.k.a. The Big Three, and why I want to achieve each one.

January - Stop smoking
This is something I've done before in the past. I started smoking again about two years ago but, it is something I want to stop doing again. This will help to improve my physical health which will impact on my self-confidence. It will also set the foundation for the rest of my challenges. Because I've done this before, I know I can do it again.

February - Lose 10% body weight
At the moment, according to my BMI, I am morbidly obese. I'm not going to tell you how much I weigh yet, you'll have to wait till February for that! This will also help to improve my self-confidence.

March - ICND1 certification
This is the first half of the Cisco Certified Network Associate Routing & Switching (CCNA). I'm going to do this because I'd like to get have a career in computer networking security. I used to help my dad and brother since I was about 8 years old, and I have loved computers ever since.

These three I chose to do first because I think these will give me the biggest boost for my self-confidence and also my perception of myself as a person of value.

---

To see the rest of the list, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment